The Lander University Office of Alumni Affairs is urging alumni who played men’s basketball at the school to join them in celebrating the 50th anniversary of the sport at Lander. An on-court recognition of former players will be held at halftime of the Saturday, Jan. 20, matchup between Lander and USC Aiken at Horne Arena.
Former players are encouraged to contact Alumni Affairs at (864) 388-8351.
According to Denise Manley, executive director of Alumni Affairs, the celebration will include much more than the on-court recognition. “As a Lander student, I was a cheerleader for the then-Lander Senators, so I know first-hand that we are a university rich in basketball tradition,” she said. “That’s why we’ve planned a fun day for our basketball alumni. It doesn’t matter if they played for a single season or their entire collegiate career, we want to recognize all former Lander men’s basketball players.”
The day will include:
- a welcome reception with university administration and community guests at the Lander Alumni Center;
- reserved seating for men’s basketball alumni and their family for the Lady Bearcats vs. USC Aiken game at 1:30 p.m.;
- a reception with heavy hors d’oeuvres in the Bearcat Boardroom before the 3:30 p.m. tipoff between the Men’s Bearcats vs. USC Aiken game;
- special recognition on the court during halftime; and
- an informal gathering at Sports Break after the game.
Already confirmed to be in attendance for the celebration are Don Clark, the first scholarship student-athlete in 1968; longtime basketball radio announcer Rauch Wise; and Geoff Brower, an All-American who led the then-Senators to their only Elite 8 appearance.