GREENWOOD, SC – The Greenwood County Historical Society presented three homes with their Architectural Preservation and Restoration awards at a ceremony on Sunday at the Greenwood County Library.
The three homes that received the awards were the Tinsley House in Hodges, the Brabbham House on E. Cambridge Ave. and the Anderson House on Ninety Six Hwy. Each of the award winners were first nominated during the fall of 2012 and subjected to an extensive screening process. The awards committee visits each home that is nominated and grades the home on a variety of factors, including the period architectural details of the home, utilizing a rubric. The results and recommendations are then presented to the full board for a vote.
The Brabham House, originally built in 1906 and located at 152 E. Cambridge Ave., is currently owned by Mr. and Mrs. Wayne Philpott. The home has been lovingly restored by the Philpotts, including refinishing hardwood floors, restoring paint to period colors and restoring staircases to their original look. The home features original fireplaces and mantles and stained glass entry glasses that are in great shape. The previous homeowners had replaced moldings and other materials, which the current owners have worked with to incorporate restorative efforts, including porch repair and reconfiguring of the master bedroom, bath and kitchen.
The Anderson House, originally built in 1910 and located at 2020 Ninety Six Hwy., is currently owned by Mr. and Mrs. James P. Anderson. The home was built by Thomas Carson Anderson and his wife Nannie Thomason Anderson. Mr. Anderson was a land surveyor for 80 years, surveying much of Greenwood County and the surrounding area. Mrs. Anderson raised their 6 children, cooked potato chips to send their daughters to Lander College and was a school lunchroom supervisor in her 70s. The third generation of Andersons now occupies the home. Thomas C. Anderson designed the house and paid $500 to a skilled carpenter who supervised the building. Most of the lumber was cut off the property. The millwork came by rail from Augusta, Ga. The family moved in before the birth of twin girls in November 1910. There have been some renovations including the addition of a sleeping porch and a small deck.
The Tinsley House, originally built in - 1937 and located at 4413 Moorefield St. in Hodges, is currently owned by E. S. and Renee Tinsley. The home was built at a cost of $4,500, which translates to about $70,000 in today’s economy, on the site of the former Hodges cotton gin by E.S. Tinsley, Jr. Tinsley was a merchant, peach farmer and leader in the community of Hodges. The home was built using many materials from the family farm by Mr. Tinsley and his farm hands. The property holds the second oldest well in Hodges, which is still in use, and at one time was used by the school and others in the community.
Each of the winners was presented with a plaque stating the name of the home and the year in which the home was built. The historical society asks winners to mount the plaques in a visible place on the outside of the home.